Supporting startups and entrepreneurship
MSU offers students and faculty an array of entrepreneurial resources and academic opportunities. The university’s commitment to supporting new business ventures was recognized by Entrepreneur magazine, which named East Lansing among the top 10 U.S. college communities promoting creative entrepreneurial initiatives.
Spartan Innovations, part of MSU’s Innovation Center, optimizes the environment that turns MSU innovations into successful Michigan businesses by providing faculty and students access to experienced business leaders and start-up funding opportunities and by connecting university-wide entrepreneurship programs and community collaborations.
Entrepreneurship-based academic programs
Many of MSU’s 17 degree-granting colleges incorporate entrepreneurship-based courses and specializations into academic programs. In addition to formal courses, students have opportunities to compete for start-up funding through endowed entrepreneurship programs.
- Entrepreneurship concentration (MBA) and specialization (undergrad)
- Engineering Design Day at the end of each semester, when student teams from the College of Engineering exhibit capstone design projects and interact with industry sponsors
- Gerstacker Entrepreneurship Program, an opportunity for students pursuing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines to compete for funding for a research concept with entrepreneurial potential
- Capstone courses
For details about academic courses, go to: Online Course Catalog
Resources and opportunities for entrepreneurs
- The Hatch is a student incubator, hosting and cultivating student startup businesses in a collaborative environment
- MSU Product Center helps Michigan entrepreneurs develop and commercialize high-value, consumer products and businesses in the agriculture, natural resources, and bioeconomy sectors
- Institute for Entrepreneurship at Broad College of Business advances and promotes entrepreneurship at MSU and throughout Michigan through research, education, and outreach
- Career Services Network, an organization of career service professionals located in college-based and centralized career centers across campus that connects students with internship and job opportunities